HISTORY OF LAWN BOWLS IN BOOLARRA
Bowls was a popular sport in Boolarra during the early years of last century. An excellent bowling green was laid down behind William P. Christian’s shop. The green had to be built up with drains all around the perimeter because the land was very swampy. Spectators watched from the veranda of Mr. Christian’s store. Membership for the club was high. There was a decline in membership after the First World War.
The Morwell Advertiser of 1917 mentions “that only one rink is being played on and that by two or three members only”. However, a revival did take place after the war.
The present club’s formation began with a suggestion from Hilda Light. Her husband Ted Light, licensee of the Club Hotel owned the piece of land in question. A public meeting was held at the local R.S.L. Hall and a motion was put to accept the kind offer of land and form a Bowls Club. At a meeting held on December 17, 1957, it was decided to form Boolarra Bowling Club.
The people who attended the first meeting were May Wilson, Ivy Rennie, Hilda Light, Gwen Halliday, Lil McKaskill, Vera Ralph, Peggy Mayer, Ellen Nelson, Percy Everad, Ed Wilson, Ted Light, Ron Walsh, George Day, George Nelson, Alf Mills, Ron Hegarty and Ray Rennie. Ed Wilson was elected President and Ron Hegarty was Secretary/Treasurer. An inspection of the land offered by Ted Light was carried out the next day and it was decided to go ahead with the club. Rent for the land was one shilling.
The joining fee was fixed at ten shillings until playing fees were required. At a further meeting in February 1958, it was moved that the club be known as Boolarra Bowling Club. A Sub-Committee was appointed to draw up a constitution. Numerous working bees and fund raising events were held so that a green and rooms could be constructed.